[mythtv-users] Mythtv 0.17 working, few remaining issues

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Mar 6 00:16:13 UTC 2005

First let me say thank you to all the developers and others that have
provided documentation and support for the Mythtv project.

I have most things working on my first mythtv box.  Running 0.17 from
ATRPMS on Fedora Core 3.  Using a PVR-350 and a ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe
Motherboard.  Have a TB+ of disk in this box.  :)

Next project is to build a quiet frontend only system that points to the
backend.  I also want to add additional capture cards to the existing
box.  Will be monitoring the status of the PVR-500 work (believe that is
the one with two tuners on board).

Really impressed with the commercial skipping capability.  :)

I have been testing the various features and have most of them working.

Live TV works.  Really like the pause feature.  There is a brief freeze
frame when changing channels.

I have to tweak the remote control setup.  Seems like the fast forward
and reverse buttons are reversed.  Also had to add the modprobe options
for it to the rc.local file.

All testing has been over the regular computer monitor so far.  Have to
pickup the cables needed to connect the PVR-350 directly to the TV for
final testing.

The text in some of the displays appears clipped.  This is very
noticeable on the Mythweather screens.  Text in the system status
windows is clipped, the lines of text are to long for the space
provided.

DVD operations is the major item left to get working.  If I insert a DVD
and select play from the menu it does not do anything but change the
color on the option and then change it back.

DVD import option brings up a list of options.  If I select view and hit
0 the DVD plays but it is jerky, like it is playing every other frame or
so.  Not really watchable and I have doubts that it would record well.
Also the sound has static.  I initially had problems since the
transcoder was not running.  Have that running, or at least it appears
to run.

Mythmusic works fine.  But I was surprised that I had to enter the
details on the music CD that I ripped.  I would have thought that this
info would be pulled from the web.

Mythweather appears to work.  It was a little difficult to setup as the
menu access to the locations seemed to be very slow.  I am also
wondering about a comment I read in the list regarding animated weather
radar.  Currently I get a static image for Orlando, FL.  This is a minor
nit and not that important.

Mythnews works just fine.

Overall I am very impressed.  Once I get this hooked up to the TV I
think it will make a big difference to how TV is viewed.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Every why hath a wherefore.
		-- William Shakespeare, "A Comedy of Errors"