[mythtv-users] DV Recording via IEEE-1394 Firewire with MythTV

Rich Shumaker MythTV at RichShumaker.com
Sat Mar 5 23:30:07 UTC 2005

So the corner is nice this time of year.
Wallpaper peeling and paint chipping that kind of thing.

Okay so neither of you guys said go away in those words.  You just
didn't answer my question and told me to use something else besides MythTV.
I personally felt that not answering my question and telling me that
MythTV isn't the right tool is the same as being told to go away.  It
was a question, still unanswered.

Can or does MythTV record DV via the newly supported IEEE-1394(firewire)
port?  I know IEEE-1394 was added for cable boxes.  But in none of the
posts did anyone say anything about that.  Or say "NO" it does not
record DV.  Since the original intention of the IEEE-1394 port was DV
footage transfer and it is the oldest use for this port I thought the
question had some merit.  The IEEE-1394 port has expanded over time to
be used for a ton of stuff including hi end cameras, hi end audio
boards, even networking and now Cable boxes.

I understand that MythTV does not have IEEE-1394 protocols built in to
turn the cam on or off or do anything else with the camcorders
transport.  MythTV works thru scheduling.  And in this respect it is
difficult to use for anything except recording TV.  I would still like
to record 2 DV streams at the same time into a server.  If MythTV could
record DV then it would be the quickest and easiest solution for me to
do that.

So I guess a different question that may get a better response is, Does
MythTV have a plug in to record video from Camcorders via DV?  Or an
editing plug in?

I think one of the major things that MythTV is missing is editing(not
just file truncation).
Again that is my opinion.  Obviously you guys don't share it.

I am not a programmer.  So that is why this is a question being asked on
the users forum.  Not the dev forum.  I will go check out the linux
packages that exist for editing and see if they have the ability to do
what I need.  Also see if they could be a potential plug in for MythTV.

I would still appreciate an answer about recording DV footage via the
IEEE-1394 port.

Rich Shumaker