[mythtv-users] watch tv on video0 and record on video1

Joel Anderson bitjunkie at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 21:07:45 UTC 2005

> Is it possible to record only on /dev/video1 and watch tv on /dev/video1
>
> I've the following setup
> /dev/video0  - PVR350
> /dev/video1  - BT878
>
> The only thing i want is that mythtv always record on /dev/video1.
>
> Is this possible.
>
> Thanks
>
> patrick

I haven't upgraded recently, but as far as 0.16 it can't be done as
cut and dry as you want, but there is something close.

You can clear your card info in the backend setup, and add them in the
order that you would like them to be used for recordings (so add your
bt card first).  Then enable the option to avoid conflicts between
live tv and recording (sorry I forget where it is).  This way it will
record on your bt card first, and then your pvr second, and live tv
will use the pvr first and bt card second.  So as long as you're only
recording on one and watching on one (no pip) then it will do what
you're looking for.

<new feature idea>
I've been thinking that Myth needs a feature like this, card "pooling"
would be a good name for it I guess.  Right now it is basically one
pool with recording and live tv pulling from it, optionally from
either end to "avoid conflicts".

So the idea is that you could assign each of your cards to be used for
"recording only", "live tv only", or "both/any".

A step further for live tv would be to have some kind of permissions
so that you could limit a card to one or more specific frontends.
This could also be useful for reducing network traffic by keeping a
card available to a local frontend only.
</new feature idea>

Of course I am just throwing this out as an idea, with the hope that a
dev likes it too.  ;)

--
Joel