[mythtv-users] Are transcoded files supposed to play in mplayer?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Mar 5 12:43:09 UTC 2005

>> of problems with them.  For one, the aspect ratio is lost, so you have
>> to tell mplayer the actual aspect ratio, but more importantly not too
>
> This should be fixed in current CVS.  0.17 and previous would set the aspect
> ratio to 1:1 in nuppel files, with current CVS, the correct aspect should
> be in the .nuv file.  Main reason I did this was to allow transcoding of
> 16:9 content, but it fixed the issue you're seeing as well.

 	I can agree that I've run into the same thing.  I haven't tried
the CVS yet, since I usually stick to the releases.  My 0.16 and 0.17
captures that have been transcoded to MPEG4 do not have keyframes either.

>> Are these transcodes expected to play in mplayer?   My goal for
>> recordings is to keep them around as full size mp2 for a while, then
>
> Are you trying with current CVS or 0.17? I thought they should still
> play as long as you had a mplayer that supported Myth's nuppel format.

 	They seem to play for me, although seeking is funky.  Basically,
after a seek, the picture gets blocky since it doesn't know where the
keyframes are.  I've tried to use 'mencoder -copy' to convert into normal
.avis, but the result *crashes* on a seek.

-Cory