[mythtv-users] Commercial cutting & DVD burning

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Mar 5 12:33:23 UTC 2005

> DVDs created with mythtvburn have mp2 sound, and I've just recently
> come to realize that the US DVD standard only supports ac3 sound. Most
> cheap DVD players will play the mp2 sound dvds just fine, but some
> older and more expensive players won't.

 	I think that, strictly speaking, DVD players are required to play
mp2, but AC3 is the required audio.  In other words, the only type of
audio guaranteed in the DVD spec (if it *has* audio) will be AC3.  Having
*only* mp2 isn't part of the spec, but I've yet to run into a player that
won't deal with it.

-Cory