[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: MythTV as Senior Project?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Mar 5 12:27:22 UTC 2005

> sweet piece of software  :-)  I'm starting to lean a little toward this
> lossless mpeg2->mpeg2 cutting, because this is a feature I've wanted to
> have as well.  My friend also though of maybe the possibility of

 	The nice thing about this is that it can be as simple, or grow to
be as complicated as you want.  The basics of GOP chopping are already in
gopdit, and could simply be integrated into MythTV proper (as part of
mythtranscode, perhaps?).  If you needed to get more complicated, you
could work on reencoding the frames around a GOP cut to make sure no
reference frames are missing.  LOTS of issues with that since MPEG2 is a
*huge* standard.  The big thing that would be important is making sure the
streams are valid... not just that they play.  I think all the lossless
cutting utils I've seen so far have modes where they are not robust.  The
streams they produce will play in some players, but not others... not good
for transcoding/archiving.

 	Heck, as far as that goes, another (even simpler) project would be
to generate a utility to export transcoded .nuv files (i.e. MPEG4-encoded
files in a Mythtv-flavored Nuppelvideo file) to normal .avi files.  The
ancient MPlayer patch from two years or so ago still applies to the latest
mplayer.  Using 'mencoder -copy' to losslessly convert to .avi produces a
slightly broken result.  Close, but no cigar.

-Cory