[mythtv-users] Audio Device Error with PVR 350 - FIX

John Kondis jkondis at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 5 01:53:20 UTC 2005

A few people (including myself, since a few days after
the release of 0.17) have noticed audio device errors
using Hauppauge 350s with no sound card on MythTV
0.17.  Generally, in this configuration, when you try
to watch TV or view a recording, you get an error
message stating the device /dev/dsp (or whatever)
doesn't exist.  After selecting "watch without audio"
the video and audio then work just fine.  Problem is,
the error message pops up whenever you want to view
something.  This wasn't happening in 0.16.

This is related to the fact that the audio out on the
PVR 350 is not a "regular" audio device.  Myth seems
to be expecting to find such an audio device and
complains when it can't.

A fix (thanks to Mary from mtu.edu) is to load the
snd-dummy module.  In my case, I simply issued the
command "modprobe snd-dummy".  The module sets up a
dummy alsa device which then MythTV thinks it is
controlling, and voila, no more error messages.

I thought this "fix" should be recorded for posteriority...