[mythtv-users] Are transcoded files supposed to play in mplayer?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Mar 5 00:40:02 UTC 2005

I recently transcoded a variety of shows using the internal myth
transcoder, scaling down to 352x480 mp4 from pvr-250 recorded mp2 files.

They play fine in myth's internal player, but I had intended to move
them over to be long term videos, and I find that mplayer has all sorts
of problems with them.  For one, the aspect ratio is lost, so you have
to tell mplayer the actual aspect ratio, but more importantly not too
long into the videos mplayer crashes, with output similar to what is
seen below.

Are these transcodes expected to play in mplayer?   My goal for
recordings is to keep them around as full size mp2 for a while, then
transocde them down to smaller mp4 (but still in the regular myth
recordings) and then to later move some of them to longer term holding
in the mythvideo directory or dvd.

I seem to recall this working before, is something new happening because
of the scale-down?   Since the general impression is that ntsc doesn't
deliver much more than 352 pixels wide, it seems like a good idea to scale
long-term recordings down to that.
-------------

Movie-Aspect is 0.73:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [x11] 352x480 => 352x480 Planar YV12
Shared memory not supported
Reverting to normal Xlib
SwScaler: using unscaled Planar YV12 -> BGR 16-bit special converter
[mpeg4 @ 0x86af7f0]warning: first frame is no keyframe5%  1.1% 3 0
[mpeg4 @ 0x86af7f0]warning: first frame is no keyframe8%  2.4% 0 0
Marker bit missing before time_increment_resolution% 78%  1.3% 0 0
Marker bit missing before fixed_vop_rate
[mpeg4 @ 0x86af7f0]header damaged
Error while decoding frame!
VDec: vo config request - 1753 x 4832 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 0.73:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [x11] 1753x4832 => 3544x4832 Planar YV12
Shared memory not supported
Reverting to normal Xlib
X11 error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

MPlayer interrupted by signal 6 in module: decode_video