[mythtv-users] Is it legal to archive and collect episodes?

Roy Murphy roy.murphy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 21:10:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:42:01 -0500, sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com
<sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Is it legal to archive and collect episodes?
>
> I've read alot of references that it is and that it isn't, legal.

There is some dicta in the Sony decision which seems to say that
recording for the purpose of collecting was an infringement, but that
issue wasn't properly before the SC. No court has yet addressed it,
but the traditional four-factor fair use analysis would have to be
applied.

Personally, my wife and I archived Buffy and Angel episodes for many
years, but since they've become available on DVD, we've bought the
complete sets and recycled the tapes for other uses. I don't believe
I've broken the law.