[mythtv-users] reiserfs + 2.6 kernel + mythbackend = slow ?

Tu Holmes tu_holmes at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 16:29:15 UTC 2005

-- ben levitt <benjie at gmail.com> wrote:

> After upgrading my mythbackend to 2.6.10 (from
> 2.4.25), I noticed some
> serious slowdowns.
>  - opening the recordings page got much slower
>  - mythtranscode got suuuuuuper slow
>
> These seemed disk related, so I researched a little
> and found that the
> 2.6 kernel's implementation of reiserfs clashes with
> some
> applicatoins.  But fortunately the workaround is
> easy.
>
> add nolargeio=1 into the options field for each
> reiserfs entry in your
> /etc/fstab file.
>
> my 2 lines:
>
> /dev/hdc1 / reiserfs notail 1 1
> /dev/myth/tv /mnt/media/myth/tv reiserfs defaults 0
> 0
>
> turned into:
>
> /dev/hdc1 / reiserfs notail,nolargeio=1 1 1
> /dev/myth/tv /mnt/media/myth/tv reiserfs
> defaults,nolargeio=1 0 0
>
> And now it's nice and speedy, and more responsive
> than it used to be
> with kernel 2.4.25.  :)
>
> In case it's relevant, I use serial ata drives with
> old (non-scsi)
> piix support compiled into the kernel, and I have a
> pvr-250.
>
> Ben

I noticed the same thing, but it's not reiserfs
only... I had XFS installed and the mythtranscode did
the same thing... I changed it reiserfs and it still
did it.

I also just tried your fix and it did absolutely
nothing.

Is this a bug in the mythtranscode? Maybe there is a
parameter that I'm missing... Just seems odd... If I
kill the mtd, then all is good. Not a big deal for me
until I need to rip a DVD though.

-Tu