[mythtv-users] Audio Authority 9A60 questions

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 13:47:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:04:33PM -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 03 March 2005 20:15, Robert Tsai wrote:
> > I have a Toshiba 42H83 RPTV that will do a
> > severely-overscanned-but-presentable 960x540p (856x480 viewable
> > area) and an also-severely-overscanned 720x480p (didn't bother
> > figuring out what the exact viewable area). The Toshiba manual
> > claims the DVI input can accept 1080i, 720p, 540p, 480p, 480i, but
> > I've read on some other forums that Toshiba has acknowledged this
> > to be false. And get-edid fails to retrieve anything from my TV.
>
> That's fairly typical, many HDTVs don't give out any DDC/EDID info.
>
> > Can I aspire to something better with the 9A60?
>
> Nope, its pretty much entirely manual. Gotta find the right modeline
> and tell X to use it to drive your HDTV. I wrote a little bit on the
> subject a while back:
>
> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/mythhd.php

Ah. I see.

Your HDTV has no DVI or VGA option, so you *had* to get some kind of
component output adapter for anything better than S-Video or
composite.

But given that my TV does have a DVI input, are you saying that the
9A60 won't give me anything better than what I can do with DVI today,
or is it possible that the TV might accept different (e.g.,
better-than-540p) resolutions over component video than it can over
DVI?

Thanks,
--Rob