[mythtv-users] working out kinks in MythTV box plan

Henrik Nielsen henrik at boggie.dk
Fri Mar 4 13:03:05 UTC 2005

problemss at adelphia.net wrote:

>what i am planning for my MythTv box is a Via EPIA MII 10000 and a PVR-350.  what i want to know is what capabilities will that give me?  can i only record the show i am currently watching, or can i record a show and watch a different one at the same time?  will i need another card to do the later?  any help would be appreciated.
>
>chad

As a happy MII 10k owner, I think you should stick with the tvout on the
epia board, and get a 150 instead. The 1GHz cpu is powerfull enough to
playback both mpeg2 and mpeg4 at about 30-40% cpu at 352x576px and about
60% at full PAL resolution (720x576px) with kernel deinterlacing. With
the right modelines, the tvout can get real nice as well (another
argument i've heard for getting the 350). There should even be support
for the onboard mpeg2 decoder on the epia board in mythtv 0.17, but I
have not looked into that yet.

Perhaps there are other reasons than the hardware mpeg2 decoder and
tvout quality for getting the 350, but if there is, I do not know them.
My recommendation is of course built on that.

/henrik