[mythtv-users] Distributed transcoding?

Shawn Willden shawn-myth at willden.org
Fri Mar 4 07:47:52 UTC 2005

Is it possible to do set MythDVD up to do distributed transcoding, a la
dvdrip?

If not, I suppose I can just use dvdrip and then throw the AVIs in the
mythtv directory, but it would be nice if I could rip and transcode from
the myth interface and also get the benefit of a couple of additional
PCs' horsepower.  Then I could actually tell my older kids that when
they want to watch a DVD that's not in the on-line library, they should
rip and transcode it first.

On a related note, has anyone thought about how hard it would be to make
a ripped but not-yet-transcoded VOB available for playing from the Media
Library?  I have verified that my machine can play the movie from the
VOB while still transcoding (or even while still ripping!).  Since my
video card has hardware MPEG2 and my audio gets routed out to my digital
receiver, the CPU load required to play a DVD is very low.  It would be
ideal if the kids could put a DVD in to "play" (because it's not in the
library yet) and have myth ask them if it should be saved, and if so,
start the rip/transcode process, wait a minute or so and then start
playing the partially-ripped VOB (yes, I know that won't always work,
depending on where the titles are in the stream, but it usually does,
and modern DVD-ROM drives rip at much higher data rates than are needed
to play).  Then, when transcoding was complete, myth could delete the
VOB and then put produced AVI in its place in the media library.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

    Shawn.