[mythtv-users] Dual HD-3000 and PVR 350

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Mar 4 06:48:10 UTC 2005

On Thursday 03 March 2005 22:03, Jeff Kryzer wrote:
> I'm just discovering MythTV and am impressed.  What I've learned so far is
> that it is advisable to use a encoder like the PVR 350 to free up your CPU.
> My first question is, does the PVR 350 encode only if the signal is coming
> in though itself

Yes.

> or will it also encode from another card in the box like
> the HD-3000?  Will it encode for two HD-3000 cards?

No. But assuming you're going to be capturing HDTV with those HD-3000's, there
is no encoding to do. The broadcast is already mpeg2.

> I've read that the PVR 350 will also double its duty by serving as the
> video out to your TV.  If I've recording HDTV, will the PVR 350 send out a
> High-Def signal to my TV?

No.

> Or do I need another graphics card?

Yes. nVidia cards strongly suggested.

> I've also read that for purposes of displaying HDTV you need a lot of CPU
> power.  However, on Hauppauge's web site it says this about the PVR 350:
> "WinTV-PVR-350 contains a highly integrated MPEG-1/2 hardware encoder and
> hardware MPEG-1/2 decoder. "   Sooo does that mean if I want to display
> High-Def recordings, and I also have a PVR 350, that I actually *don't*
> need that much CPU?  (because the decoder is helping me out)

The 350 isn't going to do a thing for you when it comes to HDTV. You need cpu
and a good video card.

> Thanks alot.  I'd be real interested in any success stories with the
> HD-3000 and PVR 350 cards together.

They work together just fine on the recording side. But the 350's output is
useless if you want to play back HDTV, so save some bucks and just get a 250.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...