[mythtv-users] Autostart frontend ONLY on manual startup?

Sean G sg_m_dev at rogers.com
Fri Mar 4 01:03:37 UTC 2005

Lane,

I have something similar to that, on boot I startx
then using .xinitrc I display a xmessage box asking
Start Myth.  When you want to use myth, press enter on
the remote to start it up.

To do this I replaced the startup of X in the init.d
scripts with this

#! /bin/sh

su mythtv -c "startx > /var/tmp/startx.log &" &

This starts X with a window manager, as userid mythtv

Then in the mythtv home directory created this
.xinitrc file to do the other steps required

xset -dpms s off &
# xclock
mwm &
irxevent &
irexec &
nvidia-settings -l
while :;
do
xmessage -font 12x24romankana -buttons "Start Myth
TV:1" -center -default "Start Myth TV" MythTV
mythfrontend -l /var/tmp/mythfrontend.log

done

This starts the mwm window manager, lirc programs,
settings from my nvidia card, then the xmessage /
mythfrontend loop.

To shutdown the machine, just exit mythfrontend, then
when the backend is idle, it will autoshutdown.

Sean