[mythtv-users] Broadcast Flag Article mentions MythTV and quotes Issac

David Levine curiouskangaroo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 20:27:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:07:46 -0500, Neil Watson <mythtv at watson-wilson.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 07:27:20PM +0000, Allan Stirling wrote:
> >I'm trying to imagine a world where a DVR without timeshifting is
> >anything other than a dumb cable box. Nope. It's not happening. Clues? ;)
>
> I'm sure you will still be able to timeshift infomercials.

Yes, in general I don't think that networks want to prevent
time-shifting.  If time-shifting allows them to get higher ratings,
then they are pro-time-shifting.  What they want to be able to do is
prevent commercial skipping and prevent output to a permanent digital
archive (i.e. burning to a DVD or something).  Also they want to be
able to expire your PVR'd copy of the show automatically.