[mythtv-users] Will new implementation of pipes in kernel 2.6.11 make any difference?

Vijay Gill vijay.s.gill at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 20:20:27 UTC 2005

Hi,
   I use pvr 350 + mythtranscode + mencoder to encode my recordings to
mpeg2 for making my DVDs. If I use mythtranscode (data is piped out to
fifo's) then mencoder takes almost double (or more) time to encode the
program than when I encode the same .nuv file directly.
  The only reason why I need mythtranscode is that it helps me in
cutting out commercials.
   Coming to the point. I saw today that there is a big change
regarding pipes in kernel 2.6.11 which enhances the speed of
applications reading/writing data from/to pipes. Can any one comment
on this taking my setup (mentioned above) into account?

Regards from
VJ