[mythtv-users] How to reply to messages in mythtv-users Archives?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 15:04:25 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 1:04, Sammo wrote:
> Sorry for this rather dumb question, but how do I reply to messages in
> mythtv-users Archives?
>
> If I click on View by: [Thread] (e.g. for March 2005), then click on a
> subject heading, I can read the message. Then, if I click on the
> sender's name, the link points to

mailto:mythtv-users%40mythtv.org?Subject=%5Bmythtv-users%5D%20Sound%20woes&In-Reply-To=1109031788.3044.14.camel%40lathe.slh.lan

> This opens up a Compose message window in Thunderbird, and the subject
> field is filled in automatically. I can also copy and "Paste as
> quotation" the message I am replying to.
>
> But the problem is that after I send my reply, it is not shown as a
> reply to the original in mythtv-users Archives! I guess it is
> something
> about the In-Reply-To field, so how do I get Thunderbird to use it?

You can't.  If you want to be able to reply to messages on the list and
have the replies get correctly threaded, you need to subscribe to the
list in 'individual emails' mode** and reply to the messages from your
email client, not your web browser.  The archives do not retain the
message-id information, so there's no way for your mail client to
construct a proper In-Reply-To field.

-JAC

**Some mail clients have the ability to reply to individual messages
contained in a MIME digest if you subscribe in 'MIME digest' mode.