[mythtv-users] Via VT8233 and SPDIF TOSLINK output

Shawn Willden shawn-myth at willden.org
Wed Mar 2 05:43:57 UTC 2005

Shawn Willden wrote:

> My desktop machine has one, too.  It actually has a TOSLINK output
> also... maybe I should try hooking that box up to my receiver, just
> for kicks...

Okay, that was an interesting experiment.  I attached the other
machine's TOSLINK port to the receiver and it worked.

So, I pulled the hard drive out of my new Shuttle (the box that hasn't
been working) and hooked it up to my desktop (an ASUS A8V Deluxe).  That
worked just fine, too.  So running the same config on two different
boxes with the same (theoretically) audio hardware produces different
results.

Maybe my new mobo is broken?  I just checked the connections and the
SPDIF ports are firmly connected to motherboard.  There don't appear to
be any jumpers or BIOS settings to configure how they work.

Hmm.  I guess maybe my next step is to dig up a Windows CD and see if
SPDIF works with the vendor-provided drivers.

Any suggestions welcome,

Thanks,

    Shawn.