[mythtv-users] Removing Parts of Myth

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 21:31:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:06:53 -0500, Thom Paine <painethom at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 3) Disable GNOME/KDE and use a lightweight windowmanager like fluxbox,
> > fvwm, etc.
>
> I'd like to explore this option. I'm currently using gnome, but had
> heard that fluxbox was faster for something like this. I'll look into
> it more.

Take a look at the ratpoison and blackbox window managers.  I used
blackbox for a long time on my mythbox as it's very lightweight, but I
eventually ran into some focus problems (mplayer and xine would start
up behind the myth menu window so you could never actually view
movies, only hear them).  When I had those problems I switched to
ratpoison which is extremely lightweight and have never had another
problem since.  It definitely made a HUGE difference in startup time
moving from KDE to ratpoison on my Athlon 1600+.

Brad