[mythtv-users] Looking for a mainboard

Angel Li angel at miami.edu
Tue Mar 1 20:58:04 UTC 2005

Brad Templeton wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 03:40:49PM -0500, Angel Li wrote:
>

>>Brad Templeton wrote:
>>

>>>On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:37:51AM -0600, Bryce wrot

>>I was wondering how long your script takes to generate the 1280x720 file
>>for a typical 1 hour HD recording. Also, what type/speed CPU are you using?
>>

>Oh, it ain't fast at all, especially 2 pass.   Probably about 3 hours.
>It varies.  An athlon 3000.   You can speed it up a lot by taking out
>some of the quality options.   I haven't done a full raft of experiments
>to see what you really need.  Note mythtranscode is just one pass.
>
>Definitely something you want to do in late-night background jobs.

I'm looking for something less than 3 hours. Soon after I moved my myth
computer into a cabinet I cranked up a mencoder job to reduce the size
of an HD recording. Woke up the following morning and found the computer
off so I turned it back on and looked at the system log. Turns out the
CPU temp rose to 75C and Linux did an orderly shutdown. I have some air
flow issues to deal with and I'm mildy surprised a subsystem of Linux
was smart enough to halt the computer.