[mythtv-users] Announcing TVWish Beta -- A super wishlist for Myth

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Mar 1 20:02:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 09:25:53AM -0500, Nicholas McCoy wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:59:50 -0800, Brad Templeton
> Brad, have you looked at MythRecommend at all?  Its a script you run
> on your computer which uploads your recording schedule to a database
> and then downloads lists of shows that were scheduled by others who
> have the same shows scheduled as you.  The output is fairly raw, which
> makes it hard to use.

> Another problem is it doesn't have a large user base, so there isn't
> much information to draw correlations out of.  This is a particularly
> good reason to integrate TV Wish with MythRecommend.  Why have 2
> starving recommendation systems when one can do the same job.

Mythrecommend is hard to find, and it claims the upload is anonymous
but it's not, your IP address (mine is static) will be recorded in
the web logs.

tvwish started as a giant wishlist, and series abridger, but the ablility
to import your list from a web URL makes it work as a recommendation
system for people who want to set themselves up as a critic.  There is
no shortage of critics in the world fortunately.

However, down the road a rating system and recommendation system are
in the plans.   Do you know how many people upload data with mythrecommend?
There are only 9 references to it on the whole web.

> I'm not sure how MythRecommend fairs in some of the things you worry
> about.  It appears to be pretty private.  You only upload a list of
> show titles, nothing about whether you actually watched or anything
> like that.  I don't know what protections they have against spam, but
> I didn't have to set up an account to use it.

Lists of what you read and watch are among the things you will find
privacy advocates care the most about.   Librarians, for example,
destroy circulation records after books are returned so that people
can't come and demand to see what people are reading.   There is a long
history of that.