[mythtv-users] Occasionally jumpy recordings with PVR-350

Alex Harford harford at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 19:59:45 UTC 2005

I'm having a really weird problem with my system and I'm looking for
some direction on how to troubleshoot it.

Summary of my system:

Asus Pundit-R
PVR-350 (but using the onboard TV out)
Celeron 2.4GHz
512mb ram
160gb hard drive
FC3 installed with Jarod's guide.

There are two problems, not sure if they are separate.

1) Sometimes recorded shows will be a very slow framerate.
2) Audio is skipping.

1) This is a weird one because it doesn't seem to have a pattern
anywhere, it happens on various shows, channels, times.

It seems to be playing at about 5 fps, but the audio is going just
fine.  Top says that mythfrontend is using about 20% when playing
back.

I am transcoding the recordings, and I have a nuv file that is doing
this that I could post a short clip from... not sure about the list
ettiquite about this?  I'd put it on my webserver with a link if
people want to try it.

I'm not 100% sure but I think this is showing up in the original
MPEG-2 recordings as well.  I'm going to try and confirm this
tonight... this time I'm hoping that the recordings will screw up!

2) Audio skipping is back!

I thought I had it licked but it came back after I powered the box
down when I took it to work to show off.  I had changed the output
device to ALSA:front and the mixer to default which seemed to fix it
before.  When I powered it up again, mythfrontend quit with an error
message saying that 'default is not a valid device' or something to
that effect.  But I haven't been able to repeat this because I when I
tried starting the frontend again it accepted the entry.

Powering down again hasn't repeated that problem. :(

The skipping isn't as bad, but it's still very annoying as it happens
every few minutes and I lose about 2 seconds of audio.

Alex