[mythtv-users] Re: Installation issue - Couldn't find package Synaptic

wmunson at rochester.rr.com wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Tue Mar 1 17:05:15 UTC 2005

> Still learning here. So if I understand correctly - the packages
> occasionally go into "testing" phases? (I'd assume this happens
> when the
> package is experiencing a rev or upgrade). If so, then I would expect
> that the "apt-get install synaptic" command would install the latest
> stable (non-testing) build of Synaptic. Why is this not true?

AFAIK the typical route taken by a new package is as follows. When the package is first released it is classified as "bleeding". Once it has been downloaded and used by a significant number of people without anyone crying that it broke their system it gets upgraded to "testing". Once at testing it usually remains there for quite a while until the package manager decides its not going to give people problems. At that time is is reclassified as "stable". With the rapid rate of change in the industry right now most packages never make it past testing before they are replaced with a newer version which starts the testing cycle all over again.

I personally have not have any issues using the testing branch for all of my systems.