[mythtv-users] 2 questions - Running out of disk space and transcoding

Bradley Hennon bhennon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 16:25:21 UTC 2005

Running Myth .17
Athlon xp2200
512mb of ram
Hauppauge v4l card
40gb hard drive
nvidia gforce 4

1. I keep running out of disk space and am unable to record anything
new. Even if i delete ALL recordings, I am still out of space. I must
manually delete several .nuv files from my drive. Once deleted, I must
stop and start mythbackend in order for myth to see the free space. I
have searched the threads and see several discussions about this issue
but no fixes that I can understand. I am not a coder and only a Linux
beginner.

Since i have a 40gb drive i am repeating this process several times a week.

anyone have a fix that a newbie could perform?

2. I understand that transcoding helps to save space. I don't
understand all the transcoding options. I have tried several
variations but dont even know if i am changing the correct settings
for my box. Many times after a recording the Hard drive will churn for
days until i get sick of waiting and restart it.

I have read the How-To's but do not understand the different
transcoding options in the setup screens.

Can anyone tell me which options i should use for my bttv card and how
long a show should take to transcode and how large it should be after
transcoding?

Thanks
Brad