[mythtv-users] [OT] 1080i

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Tue Mar 1 13:41:49 UTC 2005

Jarod Wilson [jarod at wilsonet.com] wrote:
> On Monday 28 February 2005 17:48, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> > Alternatively, the thread earlier this month suggests an Nvidia
> > 6600GT should be able to do 1080i on its built-in component out.
> > But those cards all seem to have fans, and are expensive.
>
> I just bought an AGP 6200 that can do the same. Not that expensive. A PCI-X
> 6200 is even cheaper. A 6200 alone is cheaper than another card plus a 9A60.

Yes, the AGP variants are more expensive than the PCI Express
variants.    I see an AGP for $156, which I suppose isn't that bad.
Once the card arrives,  I'd love to know how loud it is..

BTW, PCI-X is an older, different standard, typically used by server
adapters, like Gigabit ethernet, and SCSI cards.  I think the
appropriate abbreviation for PCI-Express is PCIe.  At least that's
what we use where I work, where we make both PCI-X and PCIe network
adaptors.

> > If this works, why are people (from the 6600GT thread)
> > so eager to ditch their 9A60?
>
> Because getting a modeline just right for VGA to component conversion through
> a 9A60 isn't anywhere near as easy as, say, hooking up an XBox w/the HD kit
> to an HDTV. I spent a good 10 hours poring over avsforum and umpteen
> modelines before I finally found one that worked for my set. If you can get a
> 6200 (I have one due here later this week) and simply plug it in and go,
> that's highly preferrable. Hopefully, it'll be easier to adjust as well...

If I have a modeline which I obtained via DDC info, and which already
works with DVI (as verified by the MGA results), then it should go
right on working with a VGA->component adapter, right?  Or is there
something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Drew