[mythtv-users] Very interesting findings

Neil neil-on-mythtv at restricted.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 1 08:38:43 UTC 2005

Hey guys,

I read from a mailing list that using Twinview will degrade HD playback. I
am a witness to it and have seen the tearing on some part of the pictures. I
have an Nvidia 6600 GT card. This card has a VGA and DVI connectors.

Here are my findings:

1. Using twinview Xorg configuration, I am able to see the HD program in my
HDTV at 1080i. Quality is totally awesome with some minor bearable tearing.
My config for this can be seen at
http://restricted.dyndns.org/twinview_xorg.conf

2. I mentioned earlier that using twinview degrades performance. This test,
I only had my VGA monitor connected to the VGA port, no DVI connections. So
I configured xorg.conf so that it won't be using Twinview. Here is my config
for this, http://restricted.dyndns.org/singlehead_xorg.conf and YES, no more
tearing.

3. I used the same singlehead xorg.conf for the DVI cable. I disconnected my
VGA monitor from the VGA port and connected my DVI cable. I rebooted my
machine and bam. I can see the BIOS. So I started my X and am able to see X
at 1080i. I started mythfrontend with no issues at all. I can see the menus.
However, when I started watching a recorded program, I just get a blank
screen and puts my system to 99% cpu utilization.

4. I grabbed the DVI to VGA connector from the Nvidia box. I took out the
DVI cable and put the connector. I connected my VGA monitor to this
connector and restarted my linux box. BAM again. I was able to see X with
the same single head xorg configuration. Mythfronthend runs fine and I am
able to watch any recorded programs too.

What is this between 3 and 4? Remember, it is working in Twinview. Now, I
cannot pinpoint where the problem is coming from.

Please help!!!

Thanks,

Neil