[mythtv-users] is my processor to blame? (lockups, problems with FF and REW)

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 06:45:49 UTC 2005

Aaron,

> 00:05.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
> (CX23416)MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 250
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
>
> 00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686
> AC97 AudioController (rev 20)
>         Subsystem: FIRST INTERNATIONAL Computer Inc: Unknown device 8905
>         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 5

If you can move the sound card to another IRQ in your BIOS setup and
see if that solves your problem. Heck, share it with some other device
instead of your PVR-250. If it fixes the ff/rew lockups, please let me
know! :)

Thom,

> 00:09.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Technotrend Systemtechnik GmbH Technotrend/Hauppauge DVB card rev2.1
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 12
>
> 00:0c.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15
> MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR-350
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
>
> 00:0d.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
> (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 250
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 12
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV20 [GeForce3
> Ti 500] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>         Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 8852
>         Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11

Whoa. With that many devices in there, I'd say it would be crazy hard
to try and not share IRQ's. Then again, I'm not 100% sure it will
"fix" ivtv's lockups. Maybe remove the DVB and pvr-250 and put the 350
on IRQ 12.

While both of your all's lockups could be VIA chipset related, I'm
less inclined to believe that in favour or some IRQ sharing problem in
ivtv itself. Reason being is, I have experienced the ff/rew lockups on
an intel chipset P3-667 system, but not on a VIA AMD 600Mhz system! :)

I'm cross posting this on ivtv-devel in hopes someone has new
information on IRQ sharing and lockups with newer ivtv driver
versions. I know they're doing something with vsync IRQ code lately in
the 0.3.x's, maybe that's somewhat related? Anyone in the know on
that?

-Kenneth