[mythtv-users] is my processor to blame? (lockups, problems with FF and REW)

mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 03:35:48 UTC 2005

Chris wrote:

> I run mythbackend on FC3 with a 1 GHz P3 and a pinnacle
> capture card, and the system is generally unstable.  I
> generally run my front end on a 400 Mhz PII running
> KnoppMyth, and that system is more stable.
>
> I know this isn't terribly helpful, but I often run other
> apps (mostly firefox and bittorrent) while mythbackend is
> running, and I get a lot of system crashes.
>
> What I'm trying to say is, I don't believe FC3 is a terribly
> stable OS.

When I first went and looked at building a mythtv system I went
with what I knew[1] SuSE 9.1, got to the bit about installing
IvyTV drivers and after a bit more googling came across Jarod's
site.  Because of the step by step instructions (and atrpms)
there I installed FC2, got it working (sort of) then because of
stability and sound issues[2] swapped HD's and installed FC3, got it working

then got fed up of the crashes/lockups and installed SuSE 9.1
again and it was *much* better, still crashed but not as often.

I traced my stability issues in the end to dodgy memory, SuSE *seemed*
to crash less but TBH that might be because I prefer SuSE.

Make your own mind up but personally I say go with whatever you are the most

comfortable with.

FWIW my SuSE 9.1 system (Pundit-R/Nova-T/PVR-350) has had *zero* crashes.

*HOWEVER* what I (and at least one other) have a problem with is if you play
a mpeg2 file with errors[3] through mythtv and the pvr-350 tv out you can
get
the screen to freeze (normally when FF/REW) with errors in the frontend log
such as

2005-02-23 15:27:26.722 Opening audio device '/dev/dsp'.
2005-02-23 15:27:26.722 Opening OSS audio device '/dev/dsp'.
2005-02-23 15:27:26.725 Using resampler. From: 0 to 1000 Using the PVR-350
decoder/TV-out
2005-02-23 15:27:27.098 Changing from None to WatchingPreRecorded
2005-02-23 15:27:27.113 Realtime priority would require SUID as root.
IVTV_IOC_GET_TIMING: Input/output error
ivtv rawframes descreased!  did the decoder reset?
IVTV_IOC_GET_TIMING: Input/output error
ivtv rawframes descreased!  did the decoder reset?

This doesn't lock the box but needs a reboot for the frontend/X to work
properly again.

Druid

[1] And had install disks for :-)
[2] Which were stupidity issues not sound issues in the end ;-)
[3] Such as for example a recording off a DVB-T/S card when the weathers
crap.