[mythtv-users] Multiple viewers

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 29 03:29:24 UTC 2005

Brett Stevens wrote:

>Thanks for the info. However can I ask for some design tips. There will be a
>backend server and 4 clients with a max of 4 very selfish and demanding
>users.
>The server will cope with more than that, in fact I think it is probalbly
>able to handle double. The clients Im thinking of via epia m and minimith
>via nfs 100/1000mb wired lan
>
>I was orriginaly thinking of tuners in the clients as this would allow the
>live tv function but what about recording.

LiveTV will work on any frontend regardless of which backend the tuner
is on--i.e. the tuner does not have to be local for LiveTV.

>If I allow for, say 2 recorders
>in the server this would allow for 1/2 the users to watch and record at the
>same time this may be a problem. However if recording can be done from one
>of the set top boxes this would be ok.

Yes, you can create combined frontend/backend machines.  You can have as
many backends as you want (one primary/master and the others are
slaves).  You can have as many frontends as you want.  Frontends and
backends are logically separate--even if they exist on the same
machine--so you get the same result having a separate frontend and
backend as you get with a combined frontend and backend.

>Now I know that this can be done but
>what happens if someone wants to use this set top whilst a recording is
>underway or what happens to the scheduled recording.

If a tuner is free--regardless of which backend has that tuner, it can
be used for LiveTV or recordings.  If no tuners are in use and a machine
is a combined backend/frontend (i.e., it has a local tuner), that tuner
gets a higher priority than remote tuners (although this can be altered
with user-specified priorities).  But, if the local tuner is not
available, a remote one can still be used.

Even if a combined frontend/backend is in the process of recording
something, the frontend can be used for something unrelated to the
current recording (i.e. watching a DVD, a video, or a
previously-recorded program).  I never watch TV while it's being
recorded (so I can skip commercials and playback at
faster-than-real-time), and I only have a single combined
frontend/backend, so it's often recording shows (sometimes multiple)
while I'm watching a previously-recorded program.

>Can it be automatically
>switched to an idle card, either in the server or a free set top?

Instead of moving the already-in-progress recording, the frontend will
simply request the services of an idle card.

Mike