[mythtv-users] TV won't play unless you run mythbackend manually from a console (Success)

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 23:40:12 UTC 2005

On 6/28/05, Michael Jones <m_g_j at michaelandholly.com> wrote:
> HAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>
> Found it..
>
> The problem was that the command modprobe ivtv was being executed after
> mythbackend was started.  (hmm.. what a surprise)
>
> Someone instructed me on how to adjust the /etc/init.d/mythbackend file to
> automatically load the ivtv module.  They told me to put it in the wrong
> place.. i.e. after the start for mythbackend.
>

> Now.. here's the question..   This seems to me to be kind of a kludge..
>
> Is there a correct way to load the module WAY earlier?  I'm thinking there's
> a more correct way to get it to load first.. before any of the /etc/init.d
> stuff runs.

I run the modprobes (2 cards) and start mythbackend from rc.local (you
could prob do it from rc.sysinit too).

I would use chkconfig to turn off the mythbackend init script, put the
modprobe entry(ies) into rc.local, add a sleep x command (I use x=5 I
think) to ensure the module(s) is/are loaded, and then start the
backend service. It's not the cleanest solution (but it works and
ensure the modules and always loaded prior to bakend startup) but
unless the distro will automatically load modules as startup before
the init script is run, there are not many alternatives to either
hacking the backend init script or starting things sequentially
auto-manually.

Nick