[mythtv-users] Intel vs AMD for Myth - dual core....

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Tue Jun 28 15:38:56 UTC 2005

On Thursday 23 June 2005 11:58 pm, Dave wrote:
> Judging from the benchmarks, it appears that AMD has a performance
> advantage over Intel once dual-core becomes mainstream (assuming that
> the encoding performance in these benchmarks will be roughly
> equivalent to MPEG-2 decoding performance)
>
> Guess we'll have to wait until some of us can get our hands on them to
> know for sure.

Just a small followup on this.

I finally got most of the parts for my new dev machine yesterday, and put it
together last night.  It's got an Athlon 64 X2 4400+.  =)  My old dev box was
an Athlon XP 1800+.  Quite a jump in speed, though I haven't checked
processor usage during playback yet.

1800+, doing a full recompile of mythtv (no plugins): 48 minutes
4400+, doing the exact same thing: 6 minutes

Not the best benchmark in the world, but I tend to spend quite a bit of my
time recompiling Myth.  And, granted, I've got Ubuntu Breezy on the new
machine, so it's running GCC 4.0 (there's a bit of a speed increase in c++ vs
GCC 3.3), but... it's still pretty damn fast. =)

Isaac