[mythtv-users] XvMC data point

Dave Tarkowski dtarkows at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 13:46:49 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I searched the list and couldn't find a definitive answer on what type
of processor one could get away with when using XvMC, just that it the
requirements were "drastically lower."

I currently have an Athlon XP 1700+ using the integrated TV-out in a
Shuttle SK41G driving my standard def TV.  This system is way too slow
for HDTV as it is and I was really hoping to avoid buying an entirely
new system.

Anyway, I borrowed an nVidia 5600, enable XvMC (in mplayer) and was
able to playback both 720p and 1080i content with about 50% CPU usage.
 This was without any deinterlacing as my new TV is a 1080i CRT.

Bottom line, 1080i on an Athlon XP 1700+ with XvMC seems possible.

-Dave