[mythtv-users] New and Green here. Looking for your suggestions and experience w/MythTV.

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 18:10:42 UTC 2005

If you are looking for more user friendly software/hardware which can
do HDTV, then goto Sony HD recorder which has ATSC tuner builtin
[https://www.onecall.com/PID_25076.htm]. You can also get HD-Tivo,
dont know how much it costs.

You will save time and mental agony of setting your own system. It'll
probably be cheaper now and in the long run. But you will sacrifice
the upgradibility and pride and joy of building your own HD-DVR.

My HD setup:
Backend:
Sempron 3000+ and ECS KT600A ($100 at frys)
512MB DDR ($35 AR frys)
180GB HD ($40AR at frys)
DVD-R ($5 AR .. got rebate after 6 months .. officemax maddog ..)
HD3000 - $175 (this is second pci card, had to replace the first one
as it was not working)
RG6 100ft cable - $30 (frys)
ATX Case -- free -- picked up from office junk yard

SD Frontend:
Media MVP - $85 at ccity

HD Frontend:
IOData Avel Link Player2 - $256

Total cost: $720
Agony and pain of setting it up in last 1 month: priceless !
Bragging about your home brew HD DVR: who cares !

Thanks
Mudit