[mythtv-users] Im trying to setup a knopmyth ,

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 14:59:55 UTC 2005

On 6/22/05, Darrell Andrews <duttydea at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Im trying to setup a knopmyth ,
>
> I Can i setup the tv card but cant view any chanels, the screen goes black
> and you hear funny noise/ Clicking noises fron the hdd. is this right?

This is ok.  just means some configuration is needed.

> i am not connected to the net, Is this my problen,

not a problem, but it may make things a bit easier.  to be able to
watch tv you have to have your channels configured in the database.
this usually happens when mythfilldatabase runs during setup.  but
since you're machine isn't online(connected to the net) you will have
to do this manually.

> can i download any of the files and usee putty to drop them into myth?

i'm not sure...
but you can configure your channels through MythWeb.  since you
installed KnoppMyth, MythWeb has already been configured for you. :)
is the Mythbox in question on a local network?  or are you accessing
it directly?  if you are configuring it from another machine then open
a web browser and type in the IP address of your MythBox, most likely
192.168.1.XXX.  you should see a welcome page of some sorts with a
link at the top for MythWeb.  if you are configuring your machine
directly then just open up a browser and type in 'localhost' without
the quotes.  you should see the same welcome page.
after clicking on the MythWeb link you should see a couple categories
at the top right of the browser.  one of them is for setup (the
tools).  in setup you should be able to find something regarding
channels or channel setup.  sorry i'm being vague, i haven't been in
there in a while.  in channel setup you should be able to add several
local channels and save them.  it may help if you have a local tv
guide with you. :)
after saving your channels exit out of MythWeb (close your browser)
and restart the backend and frontend.  hopefully you'll be able to see
the channels you've programmed in.  if that works then go back into
MythWeb and program in all the other channels you want.
the easiest thing to do would be to take your MythBox to a place where
you can get it online and run mythtfilldatabase.  this will populate
all your local channel data from Zap2it, assuming you're in the US and
have registered with Zap2it.

> i like te concept but i am having trouble viewing tv.
>
> alos my dvd ripper wont work.....

to be able to rip dvds (encrypted ones that you own) you'll have to
install a couple decryption libraries.  the libraries and how-to's are
available on the web if you do a bit of Googling.  i haven't done that
yet so i'll be of little help there.

for more info on KnoppMyth you may want to check out:

http://www.mysettopbox.tv - links & forum are a good place to start

http://knoppmythwiki.org is also very helpful.

good luck!