[mythtv-users] Re: OT: Broadcast flag back-door legislation

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 03:05:58 UTC 2005

On 6/21/05, Korey Fort <k.m.fort at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.house.gov/rules/rules_schedule.htm This is where the schedule is
> posted.
>
> http://thomas.loc.gov/ Search legislative information on the net.

Those links actually won't provide too much information.  If it was
just marked up in (sub)committee, the Senate Clerk (or some
equivalent) needs to prepare a "Committee Print" that makes note of
all the changes.  This usually isn't ready for a few days after the
mark-up, although if it is going to the full committee soon,
theoretically, it should be available by that date, and then of
course, available before the full Senate votes on it.  However, with
approp bills, it is not uncommon for the full print to become
available mere hours (sometimes minutes) before the vote.  Of course,
these bills can be several hundred pages, and you know (wink wink)
that every Senator and/or their staff has thoroughly read through that
before the vote.

The Committee or Subcommittee could be contacted, or the website could
be checked, but unless you get a first hand account, or read about it
in some trade press or from interest group (such as the EFF), it is
very difficult to know what amendments are attached to these bills
until a few days have elapsed.

> As of yet I can not seem to find this bill, but a quick glance at my
> senators webpage( http://shelby.senate.gov ) I see that he voted three times
> today.
> On an amendments: S. Admt. 799, S. Admt. 817,S. Admt. 783

These are most likely bills and amendments that the full Senate is
voted on.  It would be unusual for all committee votes to appear on a
Senator's website.