[mythtv-users] RE: Font problems in all themes (inc. Myxer) except GANT

Paul mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jun 21 15:33:23 UTC 2005

>Running FC3/0.18, with urw-fonts downgraded to FC2 version to fix
>underhang/size issues.

>So I've been running with GANT pretty much since install, but in the
>spirit of variety I thought I'd try a few others. However, none of the
>themes I've tried seem to honour the font-size settings.

>I've a 32" wide-screen TV, and I like the program guide font to be
>pretty small so's I can get a decent amount of text in each box, but all
>but GANT seem to have he same too-large font. Fiddling with the
>font-sizes doesn't actually appear to affect /anything/.

>In fact, IIRC, I only got the small text in GANT when I ticked some
>box that said something like 'use small text'.

>Am I missing something, or is my setup borked?

>--
>[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
>[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature
>ls: .signature: No such file or directory
>[neil at fnx ~]# exit

Have you tried changing your dpi in X?

Not sure but I'm guessing you are running X with a dpi that
is not close to 100x100 dpi for your display. All MythTV
screens are designed to look good at 100x100 dpi on a TV
viewing from a normal viewing distance I forget what exactly. At
least the 4:3 screens are not sure about the 16:9 ones.

You can find out what your dpi is by running:
> xdpyinfo | grep "dots per inch"

One way to correct it is to add/edit the "DisplaySize" line in the Monitor
section of the xorg.conf file. Mine looks like this:

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier         "TV"
   DisplaySize     203     152         # mm
   .
   .
   .
EndSection

I use a resolution of 800x600 and get good sized fonts on a 32" TV
with that DisplaySize.

Paul