[mythtv-users] MythTV and Harmony remotes

Nate Thompson nightstrm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 12:38:10 UTC 2005

On 6/20/05, Peter Lee <peteratcmu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/20/05, Nate Thompson <nightstrm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone is using one of the Logitech Harmony remotes
> > with their MythTV box, and if so, what the easiest way to configure it
> > is. I noticed that they have included MythTV as a manufacturer in
> > their online remote database, but I'm assuming that you'd need the
> > comparable LIRC config files as well for it to work. I'm planning on
> > picking up one of the new Harmony 880 remotes soon, but am hoping to
> > find out the best way to get things configured would be.
> >
> > Thanks for any info,
> >
> > Nate
>
> Hi, Nate.
>
> Yes, I have one of the Harmony remotes.  I can't quite remember which
> model, but it is one of the lower-priced ones, designed specifically
> for controlling pvr's.
>
> Anyway, to answer your question, the mythtv configuration that is
> included sets up the IR codes to match those of the remote that comes
> with the Hauppauge pvr-250/350.  So, if you are using those
> capture/encoder cards, then setting up the Harmony is a snap.
>
> Personally, I'm not really sold on the Harmony.  I find the buttons to
> be a little bit spongy feeling and the writing on them to be too small
> for my old eyes to read.  But my family loves it.  After having gone
> through several programmable remote solutions, the Harmony is the one
> that my wife and son always want to use.  And it was definitely the
> easiest one to set up, which is impressive given its great
> functionality and features.
>
> Peter

Thanks for the feedback, I saw a post somewhere that the PVR cards
were included in the code database, but unfortunately I'm using a
homebrew serial IR adapter. I'm wondering if I could just tell it I'm
using a Phillips 1st generation Tivo (the remote I am currently using
came from this system), then make manual changes to the buttons/layout
as necessary? I think this would be the easiest way, since I already
have the appropriate config files on my MythTV box, but it would mean
more time using the Harmony software interface to get things right. Or
perhaps use the PVR-remote config files from Jarod's site, but I'm not
sure if the signals are compatible with my IR receiver.

If anyone currently has config files for the harmony and a serial IR
adapter and could send them my way, I'd really apprechiate it.

Nate