[mythtv-users] apt-get upgrade .18 no sound

jacko emailgeek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 01:12:27 UTC 2005

I have been battling this thing for about a 3 weeks now.. I cannot for
the life of me figure out what happened.  Everything was working
smoothly with .17 with SPDIF playing out through my SiS 735 SI7012
(intel8x0) on board sound card.  Then after I did an apt-get upgrade I
get no sound whatsoever.   I can't even do a   /usr/bin/aplay
/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav as suggested by Jarod's guide.

aplay -l shows the following:
card 0: SI7012 [SiS SI7012], device 0: Intel ICH [SiS SI7012]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I can't tell you what the alsa-mixer settings were since I have been
playing with them trying to figure which is correct.  I definately
have IEC958 slider set to zero.

My /home/mythtv/.asoundrc looks identical to this one off of Jarod's site.
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/asoundrc.txt

My modprobe.conf for audio looks like the following:
# sound card setup
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
}; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

As a last effort I did a apt-get install alsa-utils gnome-alsamixer
apt-get install alsa-kmdl-$KVER
apt-get install alsa-drivers

Any help would be greatly apreciated...I am racking my brain  here
trying to figure this out.