[mythtv-users] Perplexed on plextors (ConvertX)

EC mythtv at magi-tech.com
Mon Jun 20 17:28:28 UTC 2005

Hmmm,
   I had been using my PX-TV402U for about 3 weeks with no problems, and
then started having very similar problems after a recent reboot.  I
don't know what I changed.  (I have currently reverted to a PVR250,
which works fine - though it's MPEG2).

   The gentoo-wiki (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_go7007) for the
plextor units contains some helpful information, for non-gentoo systems
too, I suspect.

   I really have no insight here, though, if we are having the same
problem, some additional details.  My symptoms are:
gorecord runs fine.  hotplug works (and initializes the device),
coldplug does NOT work (though it used to.  I can configure the unit
(mythtv-setup/mythfrontend rcording profiles) with no problem.  When I
try using it, though, Live TV runs for a few seconds and dies
(sometimes/often, the picture is black and white).  I'll put the message
below.  MythTV stops responding to ALL input (keyboard, remote) while in
Live TV mode.  The channel changer script (I use an external tuner)
never gets called (I have it log channel changes) - I believe that is
why you get the wrong channel.  Scheduled recording DO work (in color,
even) - though with the above mentioned problem that the channel changer
never gets called.

   I got sick of playing with it over the weekend, and threw a loaner
PVR250 into the box, and set it up.  It came up absolutely no problem
(start to finish in about 10 minutes), and none of the afore mentioned
problems exhibit.  I connect the plextor again, and they are all back -
though only if I configure the plextor for use.  Having it present, with
drivers installed is not problem, as long as MythTV isn't trying to use
it.  Dmesg/kernel logs look OK to me.  I suspect something with the
way/order that the plextor gets initialized, but haven't been able to
track it down yet.  It used to work.  I did follow the advice on the
go7007 gentoo-wiki.  It worked for me originally (I did amend it).

   I suspect the timeout/running for only a few seconds is a result of
MythTV not responding to anything while in Live TV.

   I'll be looking at it some more this evening.  Any insight would be
appreciated, and I'll post any results I get.  I am running
Gentoo/kernel 2.6.11-r8.  I tried 2.6.11-r11, but it didn't help.

My applicable kernel configuration entries (according to the plextor
driver documentation) are:
CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
CONFIG_I2C=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=y
CONFIG_SOUND=y
CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_USB=m
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y

   I read those from /proc/config.gz for the running kernel.

   The MythTV error message I get is:

2005-06-19 22:05:26.209 Connecting to backend server: 192.168.0.15:6543
(try 1 o
f 5)
2005-06-19 22:05:26.216 Using protocol version 15
2005-06-19 22:05:26.258 Using protocol version 15
2005-06-19 22:05:27.341 Opening audio device '/dev/sound/dsp'.
2005-06-19 22:05:27.341 Opening OSS audio device '/dev/sound/dsp'.
2005-06-19 22:05:27.352 Using XV port 145
2005-06-19 22:05:27.549 Realtime priority would require SUID as root.
2005-06-19 22:05:27.577 Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
2005-06-19 22:05:27.743 Video timing method: SGI OpenGL
2005-06-19 22:05:47.580 ReadStringList timeout (quick).
Remote encoder not responding.
2005-06-19 22:05:47.581 WriteStringList: Bad socket
2005-06-19 22:05:47.581 ReadStringList: Bad socket
Remote encoder not responding.
2005-06-19 22:05:47.708 WriteStringList: Bad socket
2005-06-19 22:05:47.708 ReadStringList: Bad socket
Remote encoder not responding.
2005-06-19 22:05:47.951 Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
2005-06-19 22:05:47.954 Changing from None to None

If I run it as root, I get the same thing, except no SUID warning (of
course).  I'm currently running the backend as root.