[mythtv-users] Mythtv on xbox

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 10:02:38 UTC 2005

> Not one to knock back money for toys when it thrown at me, i started
> to cost it out.
> i would prefer a beemer in the lounge and use a normal computer to
> play games on, but that is never going to happen. neither is a HDTV in
> the near future so this seems a great solution. Also this is just
> going into 68cm Sony tv. 5 or so years old. (it doesnt even have a
> s-video in, just to make life fun) so as much as the dvico is HD i
> aint going to be using HD for a long time.
> as i have yet to get tv out of the mx 440 going though the TV i am not
> sure of the quality i will get from the GF4 mx440. But it sould be as
> good as normal free to air analog. And from the posts i have read re
> the xbox this is all i can expect from it. (maybe even better SD???)
>
> Any feedback???

You can use your XBox as a frontend for MythTV in 2 ways:
1) Install linux and install a special version of MythTV for it. You
get full-on MythTV forntenb with this but the downside is you have to
wait for linux to boot.

2) Install Xbox Media Centre and then install a special version of
MythTV written in some python GUI scripts. With this you don't get all
the functionality but you don't have to boot into Linux so you get the
almost immediate XBox boot-up times. This is my preferred method. Youl
can get more info at http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcmythtv/
Also, with this method you won't need a bigger hard drive (not that I
think you do for the linux method either, by the way).

As to how to mod the XBox in the 1st place, again you have 2 choices:
1) Hard mod with a chip
2) Soft mod. This is what I did using the Mech Assault exploit. You
have to get a special USB connector cable and a USB flash drive that
works with the XBox to do this but I think it's safer & chaper than
chipping.

Regards,
Phill