[mythtv-users] Seeking driving me nuts

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 17 14:13:07 UTC 2005

On Friday 17 June 2005 0:56, Sasha Z wrote:
> It's impossible to FF or RW through the recording. The commercial skip
> buttons don't work 100% correctly either.
>
> Here's the detail:
> In CVS from today and the last few weeks, these features have been
> buggy. If I try to ffwd through a show, I'll get to where I want to
> be, press play, and jump some random interval forward into the show.
> Likewise with rrwd. This is completely unusable. These shows are
> transcoded into mpeg4 from mpeg2 and commercial flagged.
>
> When using the jump to cutpoint buttons, going forward at the
> beginning of a show goes to the next point, but hitting back goes to
> the next one forward. Hitting back from there works properly. This is
> just an annoyance... but still >:-(
>
> Any thoughts on these?

I'm seeing this too, if I seek any faster than 3x or jump.  Running CVS
from 6/08.

I've also been having problems with auto-transcoding.  I know some
changes went in recently, but I thought I'd addressed them by tweaking
the appropriate settings.  Basically, what I'm seeing is that any newly
scheduled recordings are not auto-transcoding (even though I've checked
and re-checked every setting relating to auto-transcode both in the UI
*and* the database itself.  All of my recordings have 'autotranscode' =
1 and 'transcoder' = 0 in the 'record' table, yet it seems like only my
'old' scheduled recordings are being transcoded.

I think this may be contributing to the seeking problem, as the
transcoded (MPEG-4) programs seem to seek just fine; I think it's just
MPEG-2 programs that exhibit the problem.

I had another problem recently (when everything was still transcoding)
where I had to turn off libmpeg2 decoding because my transcodes were
coming out with stuttering audio.  But that's another issue...

Anyone have any clues?

-JAC