[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.8.1 and ALSA

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 02:40:03 UTC 2005

On 6/16/05, Otto Barnes <otto.barnes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have searched the archives on ALSA questions, and haven't found one
> that deals with the following error message from mythtv, occurs when I
> go to watch tv:
>
> Unable to set ALSA parameters
>
> My settings are:
>
> Output Device: "ALSA:default"
> and I have disabled the "internal volume controls"
>
> ALSA is working properly, xmms plays fine using the ALSA plugin.  Any
> ideas? Thanks.

Check permissions, Myth uses more devices that xmms, so some may not
be set up with right permissions. You did not say what distribution
you use, but you need to configure it to change permissions of the
following devices (probably an overkill, but this will get everything
covered).

/dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/mixer* /dev/sound/* /dev/snd/* /dev/sound

If you have /etc/security/console.perms file (RH-derived distros do),
then that's where it is setup, make sure <sound> group includes these
devices. I usually change their permissions to 0666 so I can use them
even if I log in remotely to test stuff.

Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net
http://wild-light.com