[mythtv-users] HDCP, DRM and Myth TV

Todd Bailey toddb at toddbailey.net
Thu Jun 16 21:57:12 UTC 2005

Has any one looked into the new copy protection scheme that is supposed to
go into effect in the near future?
It's my understanding that this signal will be encoded in the tv signals in
the N. America market and beyond and will render any digital recordings as
un viewable as determined by the content providers.

If this measure comes to pass then as I understand it the pvr/dvr world is
going to be a bit pointless.  Time shifting, comericial skipping, archiving
tv program and movies via digitial all under the control of big bro.   I
guess we shouldn't toss out the analog vcr just yet.

Or am I completely off base here?

Being quite new the diy pvr/dvr technology perhaps the Linux tools already
have a way to avoid this?  One can only hope.

I had my wake up call a few weeks ago when I purchased a cd on-line only to
find out that I could only play the files on a specific media player.
But then the hack around that was to record to analog media and recapture
the audio.  This is the drm copy protection and I can do with out it.