[mythtv-users] Feature Request: allowable overlap for recordings?

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 16 04:46:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:14:55PM -0700, Blammo wrote:
> Ran into a problem tonight where the clock on one of the backends
> was off 8 seconds from the master backend. As a result, the first
> program recorded, but the program after it was deemed "tuner busy"
> and didn't record.

In this case, the solution is to run NTP on both machines to keep
their clocks in sync with each other.

> Another example is several of the big networks making a program run
> til, for example, 9:05pm This bumps a 9pm scheduled recording, when
> in fact, I wouldn't mind missing the first 5 minutes to get the
> other 55.

This scenario is quite normal, and easy to spot: in the listings data,
the show will run 8:05-9:05pm. In the USA, for example, ABC does this
on Wednesday evenings, running everything 2 minutes after the hour.

When setting up your Wednesday evening recording schedules (say)
simply set everything up to begin/end 2 minutes early (e.g., mentally
note that you want all your schedules to begin/end on the hour, unless
you know you don't have any conflicts).

> Would would be nifty would be a configurable "fudge" factor, that
> you could set, allowing the scheduler to pick up XXX minutes into
> the program, as soon as the tuner became free. Or maybe, no fudge
> factor at all. Maybe it checks every minute, and if a tuner suddenly
> became free, it would start recording.

You essentially have a conflict between a show that runs "late" and
another one that starts "on time" (or early), so you should fix your
schedules accordingly.

--Rob