[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: Hooking up new HDTV to existing MythTV box

Bruce Pennypacker bruce at pennypacker.org
Wed Jun 15 13:12:19 UTC 2005

Nate Thompson wrote:
> I have an odd question, hopefully someone can answer it as I'm not
> sure the answer. I currently have my MythTV box hooked up via a
> VGA->Component adapter to my 30" HD widescreen CRT and everything is
> working fine (@ 960x540p). However, I just ordered a new Samsung 46"
> DLP that has a VGA-in port on the back which I plan to use for MythTV
> (saving the DVI/HDMI port for future use). Is there anything I need to
> do to my xorg.conf file before switching to the new TV (i.e. delete
> the modelines/settings for current TV), or will Linux do this
> automatically for me when it senses a new output device has been
> attached? I'm hoping it will automatically detect the modes supported
> by the TV and let me select 1280x720p (native resolution).
>
> Thanks and sorry for the odd question, I just want to make sure I
> don't do any damage to my new television. Hopefully everything will go
> well and I'll be running at 1280x720p in no time!

You'll need to specify a modeline compatible with your TV.  Check the
mailing list archives - I went through this with my Samsung DLP about 6
to 8 weeks ago (or thereabout).  My mythtv box is currently suffering
from a failed BIOS upgrade so I can't currently get at my xorg.conf
otherwise I'd tell you exactly what I have.

-Bruce