[mythtv-users] Connecting Myth box to cable box - 8-pin/9-pin serial vs. LIRC

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 05:21:19 UTC 2005

On 6/13/05, Steve Pugh <spugh at edenfx.com> wrote:

> Does the collective group of Those Who Have Gone Before Me have a
> preference?  Seems that direct control via serial would be more
> reliable, and I've seen cables online for $10-15.  Is there a specific
> pinout I need to worry about for a Pioneer V1100 box, or will this
> off-the-shelf cable do the trick?  Or, if there is a standard pinout,
> I'm not afraid of a little solder, as long as I'm just attaching
> cables.  What are your thoughts?

It may be considered that using a direct cable connection is a
'cleaner' solution, but in my experience with a UK cable box (that
doesn't support serial connection), I don't have any issues using a
serial IR blaster device to control the box. The blaster was $12 from
irblaster.info and works a treat.

The only possible issues are:

i) if using direct connection, make sure the cable is completely
suitable for the machine, or you could irreparably damage it, and
ii) if using a serial IR blaster, you need a suitable config file for
the transmitter. It's likely one will already exist but if it doesn't,
you'll need to create one (normally by recording the box's remote
control using an IR receiver) and then use the channel-change script.

Either solution will work if you have the correct kit - I've had
absolutely no issues with my channel changing using the blaster. I
recently soldered the transmitter and receiver onto a single serial
connector which has meant I can use remotes other than the Hauppauge
that came with the capture card.

HTH
Nick