[mythtv-users] confused by MythMusic - alternatives?

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 19:05:34 UTC 2005

On 6/12/05, Hamish Moffatt <hamish at cloud.net.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm confused by the MythMusic interface. By default it seems to list
> every track I have in one big list, and starts playing the very first
> each time. Going into the play list editors allows to me to browse
> artists but then you have to select individual tracks; then I'm not sure
> how to actually PLAY the list. I don't think my remote mapping is very
> suitable.

Playing the list is easy: you go into "select music" or press "3" from
playing music screen, select whatever you want from the tree view,
back out of the tree view and your selection will replace whatever you
had before. You can also save the playlist: from the same screen where
you can select "all music" and "cd", you can also edit "active queue",
bringing up the info popup ("i" key) lets you name and save playlist
(You name it first, then click down and save it).

> What I want to do is simple:
> Browse by genre, then artist, then album. Then play a whole album.
> Or browse by genre then album directly.

First, you need to define a sort order for play list (in setup of the
frontend, go to setup->music->general). There you can tell it to use
ID3 tags or ignore tags and parse filenames (which must match a
specified pattern then), and the sort order which applies to
playlists. So you can enter "artist album title track" in the sort
order (I found out that if you don't enter "track" it actually sorts
by both track and title at once and does it wrong).

> I don't need to queue up multiple albums but it would be useful.
> I don't want to select each track individually.
>
> It would be nice to play random albums, or random with a genre.

As you go down the tree in "select music", you can select everything
below your current tree view, for example, if you sort by artist album
title, you can select entire album. Then in "play music" screen you
can select "shuffle" and specify random order.

> Is there a way to do these tasks easily, at least selecting a whole
> album to play? I'd also consider alternatives to MythMusic that integrate
> with LIRC.
>
> It would be useful also to either
>
> 1. access the music collection remotely via UPnP (though I'm
>    happy to mount via NFS or CIFS/Samba);
>
> 2. select tracks on a remote computer and have them streamed to
>    the Myth PC - like "remote speakers" in iTunes-speak.
>    However this isn't my preferred option as the machine
>    acting as remote speakers couldn't pause the stream,
>    skip tracks etc.

For home networks, just mount partitions. For streaming, you need to
look at mythstream, if you set up a server you can stream to it
yourself.

> Most of my collection is OGG Vorbis, otherwise MP3. No AAC,
> some FLAC.

MythMusic supports all these formats.

Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net