[mythtv-users] suggestions for IR receiver

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 05:56:58 UTC 2005

On 6/11/05, Mike Angstadt <daenris at gmail.com> wrote:
> So what do you people recommend for an IR receiver?  I'm not looking
> to buy another tuner right now, or I'd just get one with remote
> functionality built right in, but are there any inexpensive standalone
> IR receivers?
> A quick search found a plethora of IrDA USB adapters, but the IrDA
> doesn't seem to be widely supported for remote controls.
>
> I'm hoping for a USB solution, because I'm using my serial port to
> control my cable box.

I'm currently using an IR receiver from www.zapway.de (ideal if you're
in Europe and don't want to build one yourself!). Because my system
has only 1 serial port and I was also using a blaster to control my
cable box, I too was after a USB based receiver.

However, after some checking with knowledgeable users on this list and
on lirc-users, I soldered the two devices together and now happily run
them both off the same serial port, using a single instace of LIRC.
Much easier although a tad fiddly having not soldered since school.

HTH,
Nick