[mythtv-users] Errors on getting mysql to start

ian swanson swansian at atlanticbb.net
Thu Jun 9 22:08:02 UTC 2005

When i issue 'mysql -u root mysql' or issue 'mysql -u root mysql' , i get the error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) . And if I type in mythtv from the commandline, all that happens is this:
[root at localhost ~]# mythtv

2005-06-08 08:10:32.726 New DB connection, total
: 1. .... I was instructed to '/etc/init.d/mysql start'.... but I get the error:
[root at localhost ~]# /etc/init.d/mysqld start

chown: `mysql:mysql': invalid user

chown: `mysql:mysql': invalid user

Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.

Starting MySQL: [FAILED]

Thanks again for any help, because this is really frustrating.